Sunday, September 23, 2012

Mixed feelings

SLOG. It sounds like a sci-fi/fantasy/thriller movie title. Alternatively, it may be a warning that I'm going to need to slog away if I want to succeed in this course.

I approach this course with a mixture of apprehension, fear, and excitement -- like I did for CSC165 last year. Math is not my strongest subject, but what makes it worse is that, out of all the students in CSC236 right now, I might be the one who is the most out of practice. Since I'm majoring in psychology and linguistics, I have taken exactly 0 math courses since high school calculus, which I completed about three and a half years ago. I did get a little more comfortable with math again in CSC165, but since that was a year ago, I need to reacquaint myself with math again.

My excitement for CSC236 stems from the fact that I did have a bit of fun in CSC165. Coming up with a proof is like playing sudoku, except the work is a lot more time-consuming and frustrating, and the completed product - the proof - is a billion times more brilliant.

Today: London, England
We all know who Augustus De Morgan (1806-1871) is! But did you know that we've also named a moon crater after him?

No comments:

Post a Comment